Thursday, July 7, 2016

Be Careful of What is Lurking...

Junior Practicing Hunting



The immature Red-shouldered Hawk has been busy practicing hunting in my yard since his first visit.
I have seen two unsuccessful attempts at getting, what I think was, a Chipmunk from under this feeder.  The birds and squirrels in my yard like usual are very unconcerned with his presences.  I guess you never know since Red-shouldered Hawks do take birds but so far junior has stuck to trying to master the art of hunting rodents.


Here is a shot of him from his first visit.  I have seen very little of the adult pair.  Maybe they allow their offspring to figure it out on his own?  Typically, the parents keep feeding the newly fledged hawks for a time but I'm not sure if they are still doing this or not.

Happy Birding and enjoying the new additions to the bird world!





No comments:

Post a Comment